The Academy investigates 10 scientific and technical areas for 2023 awards consideration
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that 10 distinct scientific and technical investigations have been launched for 2023 in the lead-up to the Scientific and Technical Awards on Friday, February 23, 2024.
These investigations are made public so that individuals and companies with devices or claims of innovation within these areas can submit achievements for review. The Academy’s Scientific and Technical Awards Committee has started investigations into the following areas:
- Onboard remote driving apparatus
- Reusable cable-cutting devices for motion picture squibs
- Post-process depth of field software
- Mathematically lossless encoding of motion picture camera raw files
- Motor-stabilized motion picture camera support systems for hand/body-supported operation
- Interactive renderers that provide a representative approximation of final offline renders during post-production
- Volumetric surface reconstruction
- Pattern-based 3D clothing creation software
- Layerable hierarchical 3D scene description frameworks
- Digital image processing film restoration software utilized for theatrical re-release and archival preservation
“The Academy has once again assembled a global committee of leading industry experts to evaluate the ongoing evolution of motion picture tools that empower the creators and storytellers of our industry. This year we are happy to announce investigations into 10 exciting areas of innovation, from interactive renderers and 3D clothing creation to digital film restoration and onboard remote driving apparatus, among others, for their contributions to advancing the art and science of filmmaking,” said Scientific and Technical Awards Committee chair Barbara Ford Grant.
The deadline to submit additional entries is Friday, July 28, at 5 p.m. PT. For more information on the Scientific and Technical Awards or to submit a similar technology, click here.
After thorough investigations in each technology category, the committee will meet in the fall to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation will be held on Friday, February 23, 2024.
ABOUT THE ACADEMY
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is home to a global membership of more than 10,000 of the most accomplished film industry artists and leaders. The Academy recognizes and celebrates all aspects of the arts and sciences of moviemaking through renowned awards for cinematic achievement, including the Oscars®. With the world’s largest film museum and collection, the Academy preserves our cinematic history and presents honest and powerful programs about cinema’s past, present, and future. Across all initiatives, the Academy connects global audiences – its members, the film industry, and film fans – through their shared passion for making and watching films.
FOLLOW THE ACADEMY